I In many silicates, one silicon atom bonds with four oxygen ions to form a tetrahedron.
I Major mineral groups include silicates, carbonates, oxides, sulfides, sulfates, halides, and native elements.
I An ore contains a useful substance that can be mined at a profit.
I Gems are valuable minerals that are prized for their rarity and beauty.
Understand Main Ideas
1. immine<TTfla Formulate a statement that explains the relationship between chemical elements and mineral properties.
2. List the two most abundant elements in Earth's crust. What mineral group do these elements form?
3. Hypothesize what some environmental consequences of mining ores might be.
4. Hypothesize why the mineral opal is often referred to as a mineraloid.
5. Evaluate which of the following metals is better to use in sporting equipment and medical implants: titanium—specific gravity = 4.5, contains only Ti; or steel-specific gravity = 7.7, contains Fe, O, Cr.
6. Design a flyer advertising the sale of a mineral of your choice. You might choose a gem or industrially important mineral. Include any information that you think will help your mineral sell.
Self-Check Quiz glencoe.com
Section 2 • Types of Minerals 101
Was this article helpful?