I Remote sensing is an important part of modern cartography.
I Satellites are used to gather data about features of Earth's surface.
I Sonar is also used to gather data about features of Earth's surface.
I GPS is a navigational tool that is now used in many everyday items.
Understand Main Ideas
1. imanDescribe how remote sensing works and why it is important in cartography.
2. Apply Why is GPS navigation important to Earth scientists?
3. Explain the different types of information that can be gathered with satellites.
4. Predict why it might be important to be able to add and subtract map layers as with GIS mapping.
5. Infer How could GIS mapping be helpful in determining where to build a housing development?
6. Explain why it is important to have maps of the ocean floor, such as those gathered with Sea Beam technology.
7. Write an article describing how GPS satellites help you locate your position on Earth.
46 Chapter 2 • Mapping Our World
Self-Check Quiz glencoe.com
m 5EIEJ1K m T£tI4H1DLDGY
Was this article helpful?