1. P. Buringh, "Availability of Agricultural Land for Crop and Livestock Production," Food and Natural Resources, D. Pi-mentel and C. W. Hall (eds), Academic Press, 1989.
2. P.M. Vitousek et al. "Human Appropriation of the Products of Photosynthesis," BioscienceA, 1986.
3. David Pimental and Marcia Pimental, Land, Energy and Water: The Constraints Governing Ideal US Population Size, NPG Forum Series, 1995.
4. Henry H. Kindell and David Pimentel, "Constraints on the Expansion of Global Food Supply," Amhio Vol. 23 No. 3, May 1994.
5. Mario Giampietro and David Pimentel, "The Tightening Conflict: Population, Energy Use, and the Ecology of Agriculture," NPG Forum Series, 1995. www.npg.org/forum series/tightening conflict.htm
6. Kindell and Pimentel, "Constraints on the Expansion of Global Food Supply," AmbioVcA. 23 No. 3, May 1994.
7. David Pimentel and Mario Giampietro, Food, Land, Population and the U.S. Economy, Carrying Capacity Network Publications, November, 1994.
8. Randy Schnepf, Energy Use in Agriculture: Background and Issues, CRS Report for Congress, order code RL32677, November, 2004. (Data in the chart from John Miranowski, Energy Consumption in U.S. Agriculture. www.farmfoundation.org/projects/03-35EnergyConference presentations.htm
9. N.B. McLaughlin et al., "Comparison of Energy Inputs for
Inorganic Fertilizer and Manure-Based Corn Production," Canadian Agricultural Engineering, Vol. 42, No. 1,2000.
10. John Hendrickson, Energy Use in the U.S. Food System: A Summary of Existing Research and Analysis, Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems, 2004.
www.cias.wisc.edu/archives/1994/01/01/energy use in the us_food_system_a_summary_of_existing_research_and_ analysis/index.php;
Martin C. Heller and Gregory A Kaoleian, Life Cycle-Based Sustainability Indicators for Assessment of the US Food System, The Center for Sustainable Systems, Report No. CSS00-04, 12/6/2000.
11. Pimentel and Giampietro, Food, Land, Population and the U.S. Economy.
12. FAO, IFAD and WFP, Reducing Poverty and Hunger: The Critical Role of Financing for Food, Agriculture and Rural Development, prepared for the International Conference on Financing and Development, Monterey, Mexico, March 18-22,2002. www.fao.org/docrep/fao/003/y6265E/Y6265E.pdf
13. Food and Agriculture Organization, FAO World Summit Progress Report, Sept. 2004,2004.
14. Mark Nord, Margaret Andrews and Steven Carlson, Household Food Security in the United States, 2004, Economic Research Service, USDA, Report No. ERR11, October 2005. www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/errii/
15. Frances Moore Lappe, Joseph Collins, Peter Rosset, World Hunger: Twelve Myths, Grove Press, 1998.
Was this article helpful?