1. All citations regarding the Rendell administration and economic development in Pennsylvania are from interviews with Kathleen McGinty, January
2007, unless noted otherwise.
2. Joan Fitzgerald, "Getting Serious about Good Jobs," American Prospect, October 22, 2006, http://www.prospect.org/web/page.ww?section=root& name=ViewPrint&articleId=12140.
3. All quotes from Secretary Curry are from an interview in January 2007.
4. "The State Response to Climate Change: 50 State Survey," Chapter 11 in Michael B. Gerrard, Global Climate Change and U.S. Law (Chicago: American Bar Association, 2007), http://www.abanet.org/abapubs/global climate/stateupdate4-30-07.pdf.
5. New Mexico Climate Change Advisory Group, "Final Report," December 2006, http://www.nmclimatechange.us/ewebeditpro/items/O117F10150 .pdf.
6. Interview with New Mexico Economic Development Secretary Rick Homans, January 2007.
7. Elsa Barboza, "Organizing for Green Industries in Los Angeles," Green Economics 13-1 (Summer 2006), http://urbanhabitat.org/node/525.
8. Information on Anthony Thigpenn, Los Angeles Apollo Alliance, and SCOPE is from an interview with Jennifer Ito, November 2006.
9. Ethan Goffman, "God, Humanity and Nature: Comparative Religious Views of the Environment," CSA Discovery Guides, December 2005.
10. Based on numerous public speeches, writings, and pronouncements of Robert Kennedy Jr.
11. All quotes from Robert Gorman and concerning the NRPE are from an interview with Gorman, January 2007.
12. All quotes from Richard Cizik are from an interview, January 2007.
13. Quotes on campus organizing and statistics on campus energy use are from an interview with Billy Parish, January 2007.
14. Interview with Billy Parish, January 2007.
15. Burton C. English et al., "25% Renewable Energy for the United States by 2025: Agricultural and Economic Impacts," University of Tennessee Agricultural Economics, November 2006, http://www.agpolicy.org/ppap/ REPORT%2025x25.pdf; see also "Impacts on U.S. Energy Expenditures of Increasing Renewable Energy Use" by the RAND Corporation, originally released November 2006, at date of publication scheduled for revision and rerelease in 2007, to be made available at www.energyfuture coalition.org.
16. Portions of the section on agricultural energy and shifting red- and blue-state politics were formerly published in Bracken Hendricks, "A New Prairie Populism," The American Prospect, April 8, 2006, http://www.apollo alliance.org/apollo_in_the_news/archived_news_articles/2006/4_08_06_ americanpros.cfm.
17. All Clinton quotes are from the remarks of President William J. Clinton to the U.S. House of Representatives' Democratic Caucus retreat, Williamsburg, Virginia, February 2007. Unpublished.
18. Congressman Joe Barton, U.S. House of Representatives Commerce Committee hearing on global warming response strategies, 2007.
Was this article helpful?